Los Angeles Consular Processing Lawyers

Applying for a Green Card from Outside of the United States

If you wish to apply for lawful permanent residence (obtain a Green Card) in the U.S. but you do not currently reside in the United States, you will need to go through a process known as consular processing. This process involves you attending an interview at the U.S. Department of State consulate in the country in which you reside.

If you or your loved one needs assistance with some aspect of consular processing, Diamante Law Group can help. Our Los Angeles-based consular processing lawyers have years of experience in immigration law and understand the various procedures required for those wishing to secure lawful permanent resident status. We are passionate about protecting the rights of immigrants and their families.

Call our office at (213) 322-1418 or contact us online today to request a consultation with a member of our legal team. Se habla Español.

How the Process Works

Consular processing is required of anyone who lives outside the United States and wishes to obtain a Green Card. If you currently reside within the U.S., you may apply for your Green Card through Adjustment of Status. Otherwise, you will need to go through consular processing.

The steps involved in consular processing are as follows:

  • First, you will need to establish that you are eligible to receive a Green Card/lawful permanent resident status. In most cases, you may become eligible by having a family member or current/future employer file an immigrant petition on your behalf.
  • Once you have determined the Green Card category that best suits your circumstances, your family member, employer, or another eligible person will need to file the immigrant petition for you. This is typically done in the United States, though certain exceptions may apply.
  • After the immigrant petition is filed, you will receive a decision from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If approved, your petition will be sent to the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC).
  • Your approved petition will remain with the NVC until a visa number becomes available. The NVC will send you a notice when a visa number is soon to be available for you. You will also be notified of when to pay your visa processing fees (“fee bills”).
  • Next, the consular office will schedule an interview with you either at the time a visa number becomes available or when your priority date becomes current. You will need to prepare for this interview and attend it in person.
  • After your interview, the consulate office will process your immigrant visa application and come to a decision regarding your application. If your application is granted, you will receive a Visa Packet from the consular officer. This packet should not be opened.
  • After paying your USCIS Immigrant Fee, which you may do online, you may come to the U.S. Upon the port of entry, you will need to provide your Visa Packet to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer. Once admitted by the CBP officer, you are considered a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

If you need assistance with any part of this process, including the initial filing of the immigrant petition, Diamante Law Group can help. Our Los Angeles consular processing attorneys are here to answer your questions, address your concerns, and help you navigate the U.S. immigration process.

To schedule a consultation, call (213) 322-1418 today.

Our Clients Tell Their Story


We are passionate about our clients, the cause and fight for those who are here looking for a better tomorrow. We are committed to helping families & individuals make their American Dream a reality.

  • golden globe looking one but I'm not sure what it is
  • California bar association
  • Super Lawyers
  • AILA

Make your American Dream a Reality

Contact Diamante Law Group Today
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.